Another Milk-Substitute! Coconut

I found this gem in Isetan Westgate, Singapore. Was looking for a cheap but unique drink, and this totally fit all my criteria - I'd never seen something like this before, and it cost just $1.50! It's a product of Thailand, so no wonder, I guess.
Coconut milk drink made in Thailand.An all-natural ingredients list: coconut juice, coconut extract, nata de coco and sugar.
An all-natural ingredients list: coconut juice, coconut extract, nata de coco and sugar.

The ingredients also look really simple, pure and healthy... except for the sugar of course. But it was the last ingredient. It's also non-dairy, so it should be good for those who can't take milk.

Description

I was iffy about the sweetness at first, but after trying it, I felt it was perfect. The creamy coconut flavour was comforting, but at the same time refreshing. It wasn't too thick, like the kind of coconut milk used for cooking, so it was definitely thirst quenching as a chilled drink.

It also wasn't too sweet. My mom, who's an anti-sweetness nut (at least when it comes to drinks), also said it was ok. She even suggested adding gula melaka to turn it into chendol. A good idea indeed.

The nata de coco was chopped into small cubes... it felt like 0.5cm X 0.5cm kinda size to me. So it was nice to chew, but didn't get in the way of my appreciation of the drink.

Verdict

All in all, possibly a better experience than most bubble teas with pearls, especially because the pearls tend to get in the way of appreciating the tea itself.

Other Flavours

Anyway, they also had milk tea flavour for this one - Thai milk tea. Now when they say milk, it's the same as for this drink - non-dairy, only coconut milk used. I'm super curious to find out how that is. Will post on it again.

They also had a mocha flavour... I'm usually not as fond of coffee, so I didn't think of trying it. But after this, and given that it's such a weird idea - coffee with coconut milk, I think my interest has been sufficiently piqued after all!

Found this drink interesting? Check out more unusual drinks here!

Comments