Oyster Appreciation

During my trip to the US, I visited a branch of Legal Sea Foods in Boston, which was really a seafood adventure for me!
The facade of the Legal Sea Foods branch we visited.A disposable apron they gave customers who ordered lobster. =)
I usually am not a huge fan of seafood, maybe with the exceptions of sashimi and chilli crab (although mainly for the gravy). But by trying the different stuff on the menu here, I learned about the nuances of seafood!

What left the greatest impression on me was their oyster platter, which allowed me to try different types of oysters and appreciate the difference. Now firstly, I didn't even know there was a difference to oysters. At the buffets in Singapore, I just thought all oysters were the same.

But Legal Sea Foods did a wonderful job with this detailed explanation of the different varieties:
Detailed raw oyster menu with descriptions of each variety.
(Sorry about the date stamp. The mangled word is "Little".)

We ordered three each of the Wianno, East Beach Blonde, Naked Cowboy and Little Shemogue. All I have to comment is that I could taste in the respective oysters the elements described. The Naked Cowboy variety really did have a mineral and "bold" taste. And the Little Shemogue really had a "sweet finish".
We ordered a dozen - three each of 4 varieties.
So I won't elaborate on the taste, but will just post pictures of each up close:

Wianno
pleasant briny, impeccably clean ocean flavour
The Wianno.
East Beach Blonde
sweet unique briny flavour
East Beach Blonde
Naked Cowboy
dive caught, bold, briny, unique mix of minerals
Naked Cowboy
Little Shemogue
top cultured, plump, firm meats, medium to high salinity, clean sweet finish
Little Shemogue.
If you get a chance to visit Boston, you should definitely try out the various offerings from this chain. I'll probably put up more posts on their other dishes too.

Comments