Presenting... Night Time Tea!!! (actually just boombastic chamomile)

I discovered this at home, and thought that the combination of ingredients looked interesting...
Pukka Night TimeAn interesting ingredients list indeed!
Ingredients: oat flower (30%), licorice root, chamomile flower, lavender flower (14%), limeflower (10%), valerian root, tulsi leaf.

Maybe I'm noob, but I've not heard of this Pukka brand before, nor have I seen oat flower, limeflower, valerian root or tulsi leaf on ingredients lists before... I don't even know what the last 3 are! So the mystery was very enticing indeed...

...but after trying it, I must say it just tasted like some mildly modified chamomile.
But it disappointed by being too ordinary.
Even its colour looked like chamomile... a dark yellow reminiscent of... well, I was about to make an organic comparison but I suppose I had better not. XD

To be fair, I *could* taste the ingredients I did recognise - licorice, chamomile and lavender. Lavender and chamomile go well together because of the grassy but fragrant herb taste. I've not been fond of licorice because it has this hard-to-pinpoint sweetness like the itch on your skin that runs around so you can never find or scratch it properly... but oh well, it was mild so it wasn't too bad. Just that the combination of this dark sweetness with the grassy fragrance was a bit weird to me.

Even so, these flavours were all too mild for me and it felt more like lightly scented water that I was drinking. And I couldn't taste any other flavour at all, despite hoping to try what oat flower was like, it being the top ingredient.

Perhaps the flavours blended just a little too well? But if the oat flower is gonna hide behind the chamomile, then what's the point of it right?

And let's not even talk about the limeflower, valerian root or tulsi leaf... whatever they were...

Conclusion: Just stick to Gryphon tea.

Found this drink interesting? Check out more unusual drinks here!

Comments