Sambal Peanut Melt

Today I took a look at what I had lying around the kitchen and decided to get creative...

First, I took this Abend Brot (evening bread) from Swiss Bake...
Swiss Bake Abend Brot
...and spread Adam's peanut butter on it. Adam's is a high quality natural peanut butter brand. (See a picture of the bottle in this post.) This was the crunchy version. The ingredients comprise only peanut and less than 1% salt.

Then I spread on my grandmother's sambal paste, which has ikan bilis (anchovies) and onions. Earlier, I used it for scrambled eggs...
First, spread peanut butter and sambal paste anchovies on.
...and melted some mozzarella cheese over it.
Next, melt some cheese.
Finally, I sandwiched it in another slice of bread.
And you end up with an awesome fusion melt-sandwich!
Of course you could add more ingredients like veggies. But I didn't have any. Or at least, I was too lazy to check the vegetable chiller.

Sambal and peanut butter sounds like a weird combination, right? Well, actually after thinking about it, it's not. Don't most Singaporeans have their nasi lemak with sambal chilli and peanuts in the same mouthful? It's the same concept here tastewise.

So how was it? Surprisingly awesome! It gave me chills down my spine haha.

The savoury and spicy punch of the sambal went very well with the mild and creamy mozzarella cheese and the nutty, almost earthy peanut flavour. Like a party in my mouth.

Texture-wise, the peanut chunks in the "crunchy" peanut butter, the stringiness of the mozzarella, and the chewy ikan bilis were an awesome combination. The bread provided some nice texture too, since it was filled with whole grains.

Ideally, it should have been toasted to melt the cheese. But I wasn't thinking or was lazy, so I microwaved it, and the bread turned out too moist and soft. With a bit of toasting it would have been perfect.

If any of you try it out, drop me a comment to let me know what you think! =)

Comments