An intriguing cake-steaming technology...

Today's post is more about an interesting technology rather than the food itself...

I found something interesting while eating a steamed chocolate cake from Chez Recamier... and that was a strange pattern I noticed on the cake paper after I had peeled it off.
The honeycomb pattern left behind by the thin lines of dark brown chocolate cake which stuck to the paper.
It's like the paper didn't stick to the steamed cake at all except for these lines that resembled a honeycomb pattern! Well, I didn't notice it when eating the milk flavoured one, because the cake was white and blended in with the paper. But here you can see it clearly when the dark brown contrasts with the white paper.

Firstly, I wonder HOW this is done... like just HOW do you get the paper to not stick to the cake? And why does it only stick in that honeycomb pattern? Is it some special coating to the paper? I've not noticed this before.

I also wonder whether it helps in the steaming process... like does it make the cake fluffier, or moist all the way through, or something?

Well, regardless, it's cool that the cake can remain completely unblemished by the paper except for these lines, and even so, the lines create a rather cool pattern. Some interesting steaming technology indeed.

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments