Blueberry Lavender Jam

Another slightly unusual treat from Crabtree & Evelyn! I usually track their flavours from year to year because they're a great source of gifts for mass gift-giving occasions, like Christmas or Valentine's Day. But I don't recall ever having seen this flavour of jam. Perhaps I just wasn't observant...
Crabtree & Evelyn's Blueberry Lavender Preserve.
I thought this was unusual because they paired lavender with a fruit, and an appropriate one in my opinion. I usually see lavender in teas, or on its own in cakes and ice creams, at most paired with something relatively neutral like vanilla. But I'd always thought that it had a rich floral and herb-like fragrance, and that it could be paired with something with a strong fragrance of a different sort, like fruity. Saveur Art paired it with strawberry, which I thought was ingenious. Now I'm glad to be able to try it with blueberry.

As blueberry has a milder tartness and a gentler fruitiness, it made for a very soothing combination with the lavender's fragrant woodiness. An excellent combination! Despite the bottle label saying that it was a "hint" of lavender, the lavender flavour was quite strong indeed, which was something that I was happy about. The only thing I didn't like was that it felt much too sweet to me. But then, preserves and jams aren't supposed to be eaten on their own, so I guess it wasn't wrong of them to make it sweet.

I used it as a topping for some plain frozen yoghurt, and it turned out to be a wonderful combination! The milkiness provided some body to the combination, and the sourness of the yoghurt enhanced the fragrance of the jam's flavours. Most people are probably familiar with blueberry yoghurt, but the lavender's extra fragrance added that stroke of elegance to the taste, giving it what I would think of as an almost mature interpretation to the idea.
The blueberry lavender preserve was a perfect topping for frozen yoghurt!

Comments