Hong Kong Swiss Rolls Part II

After having tried the green tea Swiss roll with red bean paste, and the charcoal Swiss roll with sesame cream from Kee Wah, I had someone I know who was visiting Hong Kong hunt down other interesting roll cakes from the patisserie. So here's featuring two noteworthy catches - honey yuzu Swiss roll and green tea yuzu Swiss roll. Well, they technically just called yuzu "citron" in English, but the Chinese clearly reads yuzu.

Both flavours were good - soft, moist and with the yuzu's strong citrus scent, tartness and bitterness intense enough to flavour the entire cake. I could also chew the bits of candied yuzu embedded in the cream, so that was very nice for the texture. But unfortunately, they resorted to hydrogenated fats for the cream with the yuzu. =( Well, it was ok for me though since it was just a one-off thing. Now on 

Honey Yuzu Swiss Roll
Honey yuzu Swiss roll cake, with bits of yuzu in the cream visible.Kee Wah's packaging of the honey yuzu cake.
The sweetness of the honey went especially well with the yuzu. But I didn't get the sense that it was too sweet. I personally preferred this flavour more, out of the two.

This was bought from a Kee Wah outlet.

Green Tea Yuzu Swiss Roll
Green tea yuzu Swiss roll cake, once again with the bits of candied yuzu visible in the cream.The cakes at the convenience store had a different label from those bought from Kee Wah's stores, but they still had the Kee Wah seal-like label.
This flavour was actually bought at a convenience store, although I don't know which chain or location it was. As you can see, the label also differs from the cakes bought from the Kee Wah stores. In fact, I initially thought it wasn't from Kee Wah as the main brand on top is "World Ovens", whatever that is. But I did notice the little Chinese seal-like red Kee Wah label in the bottom right corner. Besides, it's way too similar to the honey yuzu and green tea red bean Swiss rolls to pass as anything else. So yeap, it's definitely Kee Wah.

As with the green tea red bean Swiss roll, this variety of green tea flavour wasn't matcha, but rather the jasmine and Chinese green tea type of flavour. 

Overall, it was actually a very good combination; the citrus fragrance blended very nicely with the jasmine-like fragrance of the green tea. Beneath the dominant scents, the bitterness of the yuzu also matched the bitterness of the green tea. 

Because of the blending of the scents and bitterness, the tartness of the yuzu was more pronounce in this cake. It was the bitter tea cake and sour yuzu cream combination that I personally didn't prefer... I don't know how to describe it, but it had something to do with the cake's and cream's textures. I think the bitter-sour combination just went poorly with the rich and waxy cream on cake. But I think that's just a personal thing... some people may actually like this flavour more than the honey yuzu roll cake.

I have tried yuzu green tea before, although it was more the Japanese version - sencha, and it was very nice, light and refreshing indeed. So this idea flies. And I thought that although I didn't like it as much as the honey yuzu Swiss roll, this green tea-yuzu combination in a roll cake was actually more interesting and unique.

In short, if I had a choice to eat them again, I'd go for the honey yuzu roll cake. But if I could only try one of them just once, I'd go for the green tea yuzu roll cake anytime.

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments