A Heartier Leaf Pie

And here's the second shorter post. Just wanted to comment that the palmier is also a relative of the leaf pie... the heart-shaped version that I mentioned. In fact, I think it probably came first in French pastries, because I've seen palmiers even in Vietnam, due to their history of being colonised by the French.
Small heart-shaped palmiers from Kee Wah Bakery in Hong Kong.
I also got these, strangely, from Kee Wah Bakery in Hong Kong... and even more strangely, it was possibly the best pie pastries I've eaten!

It had a pure butter flavour, but it wasn't too greasy, unlike the Firewood Pie from Japan. It also had a very nice crisp pastry that wasn't too sweet, so the buttery baked wheat taste came out really strongly. There was also the occasional crunch of granular sugar.

I think Gateau Festa Harada's leaf pie competes with this. The difference is that the leaf pie was more refined and its crisp more delicate. These palmiers, though, were more... well, hearty ahahaha. Maybe that's why they're heart-shaped. But what I meant was that the crunch was more solid and satisfying.

Found this puff interesting? Check out more unusual pastries here!

Comments