Maple & Malt

Someone bought these maple cream cookies back from Canada, and I really loved them. In particular, I liked them because the biscuits tasted like the Ovaltine malt biscuits. They also had salt as an ingredient... maybe that enhanced the salty malt taste... although, I know that salt is used in many sweet foods.
Maple cream cookies from Canada.
I'm not sure if they used maple syrup in the biscuits as well, but if they did, then the malty taste must have been due to the maple. And it was eating this cookie that made me realise the similarities between maple and malt. Perhaps the main difference is that maple is much sweeter, and malt tends to be paired with salt. 
Hydrogenated fat-rich maple cream. =P
The two points I didn't like about these cookies were that they were too sweet, and they used hydrogenated oil for the cream. =P Still, they were nice to try!

Comments