Pulut Hitam Cake by Pine Garden

Tried a slice of pulut hitam cake by Pine Garden, after hearing so much about Pine Garden cakes. I didn't try many of their flavours because I didn't find them particularly intriguing,  and am also not fond of cream cakes because usually such bakeries don't list their full ingredients list and I never know if there's shortening hidden inside. But this one caught my attention, so I thought I would try a slice.

As you can see, there's a very thick and satisfying layer of pulut hitam on top, which is what makes it distinct. This, in my opinion, is what made the flavour of the pulut hitam very strong, and it provided a good base for the other parts of the cake. It's also great that they didn't seem to have put the coconut cream into the top layer, because I think that would have diluted the pure earthy pulut hitam flavour. this layer was, in effect, like a thickened version of the pure dessert without the coconut milk.

The cream in the other layers seemed to be coconut flavoured. I think this separation of flavours is a great idea because then I could appreciate both flavours distinctly, yet together in the same mouthful. 

Pulut hitam cake by Pine Garden

I did try Starbuck's pulut hitam cake as well, which was not bad, but in that case the layer of pure pulut hitam wasn't as thick on top, and if I recall well, it was mixed with the coconut, so the earthy tones weren't as distinct.

Still have no idea if they used shortening or margarine in the cream, so for that matter I probably won't be trying it again, but it's definitely worth 1 try!

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments