Soy Milk Tea with Black Sesame Foam and Dango

I ordered the Black Sesame Soy Milk Tea from the Chinese Tofu Magician, a tea chain from China that has relatively recently opened branches in Singapore. I couldn't find descriptions of what exact it is, but I believe it is a soy milk tea topped with black sesame flavoured foam, and a stick of dango coated in toasted sesame seeds on top. I added soy pudding as well, so there's bits of pudding at the bottom of my cup.

Before getting to the tea, you have to get through the dango first. I'm not fond of mochi and dango in general, but this was novel because it gets coated in the black sesame foam, which was an interesting complement to the toasted sesame seeds. The foam was basically a thick cream, I believe soy-based from the taste, that was black-sesame flavoured. The sesame flavour wasn't particularly strong or fragrant, but it was distinct. I didn't like that the foam left a very greasy feeling on my lips, however, so this is something I would only try once for the novelty.

The soy tea underneath that was good, as the soy base makes it a very comforting experience as always. The soy tasted full and creamy, not so much like the typical soy drinks sold in Singapore hawker stores, or the carton soy milks sold by both Asian and Western brands. It was more like the warm soy milk you get off the street stalls in China or Hong Kong - creamy and full, with I believe a trace of salt to round out the taste. The tea fragrance, however, wasn't very apparent, especially after having gone through the foam.

The pudding wasn't particularly notable as such puddings are pretty standard and sweet as usual. 

Soy Milk Tea with Black Sesame Foam
Found this drink interesting? Check out more unusual drinks here!

Comments