Chicken Cheese Porridge

I recently tried out this Korean eatery called J-story @ Capitol Building, Singapore. At first, I was puzzled about why they would call a Korean eatery "J-story" rather than "K-story" and wondered out loud about this point. The waitress who happened to be nearby shot back kinda almost defensively that "J" stood for "juk", which is Korean for "porridge". [I'm pretty sure it's the Chinese character 粥 - if you think about it, it also sounds like 粥 in Mandarin (zhou1), Cantonese (chok) and Japanese (juku). And since the Japanese word also starts with "j", it makes J-story even more confusing...]

Anyway, I saw this item on the menu and thought that I just had to try it, because it sounded like hearty comfort food, the way cheese macaroni is to the Americans.
Korean chicken cheese porridge
In brief, it tasted like cream of chicken soup, porridge version. I suppose the cheese taste blended into the chicken broth taste, which is understandable as cream of chicken does taste cheesy on its own.

A bonus was the biscuit topping... normally, you wouldn't think to top porridge with biscuits I suppose - talk about carbs upon carbs. But it was a surprisingly good combination as it reminded me of of how we top our local porridge (or even Cantonese congee) with crispy Chinese donuts (油条 you2 tiao2).

They also loaded it with shredded chicken, broccoli and I think some carrots. So yeah, it really was what I had expected when I thought of heart comfort food.

The other porridge on the menu that I wanted to try was pumpkin porridge. Next time around, I guess.
~~~
And... a light and smooth song for a light and smooth meal...


Close Your Eyes
by Basement Jaxx

Comments