Pandan & Pistachio. . . (mooncake) match made in heaven?

Okay I know mooncake season is officially over, but welcome to my family that has weird practices like putting mooncakes in freezers so we can still enjoy them off season many moons later... ice age squirrel anyone? XD

Anyway, this Tung Lok mooncake piqued my interest originally because I had no idea what 香蘭 was, despite checking the online dictionaries that I had access to. Is that proof of how bad my Chinese is? I discovered that it was (probably) pandan only upon the first incision...
Whole uncut mooncake.
... and was delighted to find pistachios and yolk inside as well! I had noticed that pistachio flavour (not the nuts, but the essence) reminded me of pandan when I stumbled upon a delicious pistachio muffin while in the US. So it was interesting to discover food by a chef who had noticed the same point and crafted such a delicacy from the combination. 
Mooncake slice showing egg yolk & pistachio.
In summary, it produced a nice medley of flavours and textures in my mouth, so I would recommend this. However, my family received it as a gift, so I have no idea how much it costs. -_-;;

Edit: I managed to dig up a picture of that pistachio muffin ahahahaha!! =D Sorry it's a bit out of focus... it was taken during my idiot-phone days. Here you go:
Green pistachio muffin with browned top.
Anyway it was a most lovely muffin with the muffin top baked 'til near-crunchiness. Also, notice the green hue... so reminiscent of pandan right? If you had told me this was a pandan muffin baked in America, I would totally have believed you even (or maybe especially) after eating it...

Edit 2: I googled for the official name... and managed to find a 2008 pdf brochure from Tung Lok... see item E4.

Want to see other interesting mooncake flavours? Check out other unusual mooncakes here!

Comments