A Palatable Palette? Vegetable Cookies!

Ever thought veggie-flavoured cookies would work?
Colourful wild vegetable cookies.
Translation from left to right: pumpkin cookies, carrot cookies, gobo (or gobō/gobou) - burdock root cookies, purple sweet potato cookies, and Japanese mugwort (yomogi) cookies.

My reaction when I saw this was *jawdrop* for the following reasons all at once:
  • Trust the Japanese to come up with such interesting ideas!
  • It's freaking cool to see carrot and gobo cookies especially - I absolutely can't imagine what flavour they would produce in pastry (and they're not even the filling either).
  • MUGWORT cookie? O_o How on earth does that work? By the way, it's a plant used to make a certain type of Japanese mochi. Since mochi is usually flavourless in itself, I wonder how such a cookie would taste.
  • The colours are totally awesome! Now all they need is a more reddish veggie (red capsicum?) and a bluish veggie (red cabbage or blue corn flower?) and you'd have rainbow coloured cookies of all different flavours!! It would be a heck of an impressive display at parties for the dessert/snack section. ^_^
  • No one wanted to share a packet of these with me, so I didn't buy any in the end... my greatest regret. T_T

I saw these at a shopping mall's supermarket both in Kyoto and Osaka... but I forgot the name of the supermarket, and I'm not even sure it was the same chain. They had a slightly higher-class feel and sold gourmet food. So if you wanna attempt to acquire them, try going to such places.

~~~

Update: I finally bought and tried these cookies on a subsequent trip to Japan! Check out my review here!

If you don't live in Japan, vegetable-flavoured cookies might be highly unusual. If you found this interesting, you can explore more exceptionally unusual food and drinks here!

Comments