Cavity time! ~ with East Asian candies & nougats ^_^

Ok I realise that the vast majority of my stuff in my posts are not "proper" food and are usually snacks or small bites... but hey, I can't help it... for some reason I find that people tend to be much more creative with snacks and sweet stuff than savoury stuff. Like meat can only be done in so many ways, or at least based on what I've seen... but there are a million and one ways to do pastries, sweets and other flavours.

Anyway, on to today's treat... it's soft candies with East Asian flavours. This was acquired from the pop-up seasonal food fairs in the Singapore Takashimaya basement (Singapore), further in, between the Royce boutique store and the Donq bakery. I think these snacks are Taiwanese in origin. They sell a bunch of assorted candies in a big sealed bag.
The individually wrapped cuboidal candies came in a big sealed bag with a resealable mechanism.Different flavours had different wrappers.
The whitish one is sesame nougat, and the dark one is a walnut & black date soft candy... I don't really know whether there's a name for the latter.
Black sesame nougat.
First up, the nougat. I love that they filled it with black sesame. It gives the nougat a very rich feel and look, with the nice contrasting colours. I warmed it up a bit so it was softer, so the texture was very smooth and nice. I also love the taste, which was rich and buttery. (They didn't use vegetable oil or margarine for this, or I wouldn't have tried it.)
Gooey black date and walnut candy!
I also warmed the black date candy up, but this one got a bit gooier after I was done, hence the slight mess in the picture. Flavour-wise, it was like luo han guo drink or cheng teng dessert. It was nice and not too sweet, and the date flavour came out nicely. Texture-wise, the nuts complemented the soft candy with that mild crunch.

The store also had other flavours, like black sesame candy (done like the black date one), green tea nougat, coffee nougat, and so on. If you like trying new flavours and combinations like I do, I think it's definitely worth a try to see how these flavours blend with the nougat taste. =)

Edit: After doing a survey of all my posts, I have decided to rewrite its description, so now I'm focusing on snacks. XD But of course that doesn't preclude me from including proper food too! =D

Comments