Early Halloween Treat with Pumpkin Baked Cake

Halloween's coming up and I love it that bakeries are jumping at the opportunity to do creative stuff. I was tempted by the Halloween display at Johan @ Westgate (Singapore) so I got myself a *treat*. =D
  
The written description for this was "pumpkin baked cake". I think wild vegetables in pastry intrigues me in general, so I was curious to know what a pumpkin cake tasted like.
I was first struck by the aesthetic appeal and thought that went into it... It was such a good edible representation of Jack-o'-lantern - everything from the circular shape, to the pumpkin theme, to the bright colour and the wide grin contributed to the effect. I couldn't help a grin myself. And in this case, the paper cake cup also made this little Jack-o'-lantern so cute! Like it's wearing lace.

Anyway, it was really nice to eat too! The cake was really moist and soft, with a nice buttery and wheaty flavour to it, like nice sweet roll bread.
I could also see little bits of actual pumpkin inside it... at least that's what I thought they were. Hard to see from the picture, but when you look at it up close, you can see little flecks of intense orange spots against the slightly paler cake. There were some flecks that were slightly larger so I could feel it in my mouth. Nice texture, and nice knowing that you're eating real pumpkin.

I was also glad that it wasn't the American spiced pumpkin flavour, which I don't really like because I feel it overwhelms the natural pumpkin flavour.

The one disappointment, though, is that if I closed my eyes, I may not be able to pinpoint the flavour as pumpkin... because the pumpkin flavour wasn't too strong. Still, it was enjoyable enough and had a really nice presentation, so maybe a strong pumpkin flavour wasn't what the bakery was gunning for.

Or perhaps the pumpkin flavour blended too well with the buttery flavour, so I couldn't distinguish it... which does make a lot of sense actually, since pumpkin can be buttery in flavour and can be cooked with butter.

Anyway, it's all Treat and no Trick. =) So I think it's worth a try! Also hope to try other interesting Halloween offerings before they stop selling!

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments