Sweet Nutty Treats from Europe

Someone I know just came back from a trip to Europe and bought back some interesting candies for me! Today, I'll talk briefly about some marzipan that I received, bought from France.
Maison Adam pistachio marzipan.Maison Adam citrus marzipan.
On the left is pistachio marzipan, which is a greenish yellow, and on the right is citrus marzipan, which is quite a bright yellow.

Pistachio Marzipan

Now, I haven't really eaten a lot of marzipan, so I don't really know how to critique it. All I know is that in the pistachio one, I could taste the fragrant almond flavour.

At first, I couldn't really taste the pistachio, but then I cleared my mouth with water and something else and tried again. After that, I could taste the distinct flavour of toasted pistachios, although it was mild. So I liked it, although I felt the pistachio flavour could have been stronger - I love nuts, especially pistachio and its unique toasted flavour.
There was a distinct but mild toasted pistachio flavour amidst the almond taste.
Lemon Marzipan

Then I tried the yellow citrus one. I didn't like this, because I generally expect marzipan to be a nutty snack, and citrus and nuts don't go well together in my opinion.

In this case, it tasted like a strong lemony flavour, which totally drowned out the nutty almond taste. I may as well have been eating some lemon candy. Yuck! >_<
The lemony taste drowned out the nuttiness of the marzipan.
I found the ingredients list curious, however. For both flavours, they listed the same ingredients... both had almonds, pistachios and some citrus ingredient. A mix-up or just plain laziness, I wonder?

I'm not sure where this can be found though. I'll update with an edit if I do find out.

Comments