Creme Brulee Chocolate Croissant

St Marc Cafe, which originated from Shibuya, Tokyo, is known for it's Chococro. It's a croissant baked to a perfect crisp, with a satisfying wad of milk chocolate embedded in the middle.

My parents bought a special seasonal variant back from Japan recently - Creme Brulee Chococro. Instead of milk chocolate, they used a creme brulee chocolate for the filling. Here's the promo image for it.
St Marc Cafe's seasonal flavour - Creme Brulee Chococro.
Source: http://narita-aeonmall.com.e.cb.hp.transer.com/shop/detail/138

The creme brulee chocolate was really interesting! I felt it tasted kinda coffee-tinged. But not really at the same time. It reminded me of the caramelised chestnut tart. I think it was probably meant to be the burnt caramel taste of creme brulee.
I had to bake it to get it crispy again.There's a nice bar of cream-coloured creme brulee chocolate in the middle.
But it was also a tad too sweet and intense, like the baked pudding KitKat. Well, that's to be expected I guess, since I think KitKat was referring to something like creme brulee. In fact, I'm wondering if they used the same chocolate or flavour supplier as KitKat LOL.

Other than this, it was good in the standard Chococro way - a nice chunk of chocolate was used. And I had to warm it up in the toaster first, but the croissant was very nicely crispy, as all Chococros are when just baked.

Unfortunately, as is usual, they use margarine for Chococro... at least I think they do. They may have used *some* butter, but they probably also used margarine, because it seemed to have the typical margarine greasiness, and the butter flavour is very weak, if at all present.

Still, it was nice to try, and I'll continue to try new Chococro flavours if I see them. If you haven't even tried the original, you definitely should! They have branches in Singapore.

Found the creme brulee chocolate interesting? Check out other unusual chocolates here.

Comments