French Sea Salt Caramel

I've tried plenty of snacks with a salted caramel flavour - salted caramel cream puff or salted caramel ice cream, to name a couple. But this is the first time I've tried the actual thing. (Commercial candies aren't counted. >_<) And it's nice that it came from France. =)

It was packed in this woody-smelling box... I presume it was made from fresh wood. I wonder if any of that smell permeated the caramel packed within... still, it was a very nice and "natural" experience.

They used real butter too! The salt is hand-harvest sea salt from Guérande, a medieval town in western France with salt marshes.
The wooden box smelled really woody... it was made from fresh wood.Each candy was twist-wrapped in simple clear plastic.
It was nice and standard, with a good buttery flavour. Nothing unexpected. I'm not fond of such sticky candies in general cuz they tend to get stuck in my teeth.

What was interesting though, was towards the end, there was this sour taste. It reminded me of sour plum. Definitely not something I'd expected from caramel. It was ok, but not the most pleasant. No idea what ingredient could have given rise to this... I don't think it's the dextrose. Probably not the alpha-tocopherol either... maybe some acidic content in the sea salt?

Comments