Smoked Duck Prata Wrap

Kudos to my mom for stumbling upon this. It was so good that she ordered one more for takeaway, so I could enjoy it.

This is a smoked duck prata wrap, from Owl Cafe @ Star Vista, Singapore. Its official name is actually "Crispy Duck Spring Onion Prata"... although I think it's a bit of a misnomer as it's the prata that's crispy, not the duck. Prata is and Indian fried flat bread, and is usually enjoyed for its crispiness and wheaty flavour.
Smoked Duck Prata Wrap, as served inthe cafe.The takeaway version.
Digression on photography: The first image was taken by my mom at the cafe. I took the right one at home. I prefer the first image... I think my photography kinda sucks. Have been trying to improve, and I use image editing to make up for it. But maybe it's just the poor lighting at home. And I'm also too lazy to carry around a huge camera, so I just use my Xiaomi camera phone. XD

A Hearty Version of Peking Duck Wrap

Anyway, this was extremely delicious. Each mouthful was fusion heaven. Overall, the experience was reminiscent of Peking duck wrap. I would say the difference was that this was more hearty, and kinda more bourgeois. Peking duck wraps tend to be more refined: 
  • They tend to be smaller... usually appetiser-sized, not almost a meal like this. 
  • They use a delicate egg crepe for the wrap, which is usually not fried in as much oil, like prata. 
  • They use a delicate piece of crisp duck skin, which has a subtler smoked and spiced flavour, instead of these meaty flaps of duck with overpowering smoked and salty hues.
So kudos to a brave and successful reinvention of the Peking duck wrap, done Straits style!

Now on to the review proper...

The duck was savoury and flavourful, and I think it was accompanied by a sweet sauce - possibly the same kind used for Peking duck.

The prata I had retained some of its crisp, despite being takeaway food. I guess it woulda been nicer had I enjoyed it at the cafe for myself. There were also bits of cucumber that added to the crunchy texture. 

Some spring onion bits were also added to the prata dough, I believe. Although I couldn't really taste those bits past all the other flavours, it added to the overall visual appeal of the already attractive presentation.

I would recommend this to anyone - Singaporean or tourist!

Comments