A Trifling Truffle Flavour: Dark Choc Hazelnut Truffle Drink

This was next on my Christmas drink list: Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle drink by Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (@ Westmall, Singapore).

I had initially wanted their highly-promoted Winter Dream Tea Latte, but they said they were out of stock of that for quite a while. Next, I requested their other holiday drink - Peppermint Stick Tea Latte, but they were also out of stock. -_-;; What an embarrassing problem! Anyway, as a result, I had to settle for this, which was rather less exotic than I'd hoped for.

Normally, it comes as a coffee drink, but I requested the non-coffee version. They misunderstood and initially gave me the latte version, charging me $6.70 for it (small size). But they graciously replaced it for me and waved the extra charge for the non-coffee version. (I wonder why non-coffee costs more though.)
"Dark" Chocolate Hazelnut Truffle drink.
I guess it was decent as a typical sweet milk drink, but I was kinda disappointed because it didn't live up to its name.

Firstly, it wasn't dark chocolatey at all. It would have been more fitting if they'd called it milk chocolate. The chocolate flavour was not strong at all, much less any bitterness or dark choc flavour. The creaminess and sweetness was kinda strong and dominated more than any cocoa flavour.

Secondly, the nutty flavour wasn't strong either. Well, they used the typical hazelnut syrup I guess... which contributed to the sweetness mentioned, but didn't add much of a hazelnut, much less "truffle" flavour at all. There was some mild nutty flavour... but it wasn't even clear to me if it was almond, pistachio or hazelnut. I guess the flavour was slightly more to the hazelnut range of the spectrum, but like I said, quite artificial and syrupy. Also, whatever hazelnut flavour there was, was stronger smelled than tasted.

(Since I initially got the latte version, I should also add that I didn't notice much of a hazelnut flavour to it either... although I only had one sip so maybe I missed it out. But given how weak the non-coffee flavours were, I doubt the chocolate and hazelnut flavours can match the overpowering coffee at all.)

Still, I guess if you just like a mildly-flavoured, sweet and creamy cocoa drink with a tinge of artificial nut flavour, you probably wouldn't mind this too much. =P

Found this drink interesting? Check out more unusual drinks here!

Comments