Matcha Croissant

Yet more Japanised French pastries... this time flown in from Thailand! This was from La Patis at Siam Paragon, Bangkok. No indication that the bakery itself is of Japanese origin though.

Today, I'll feature the matcha croissant on top. The dark one below is to remain a mystery until the next installment. ^_~
La Patis croissants.A vibrantly coloured green tea croissant.
I loved the vibrant green colour intertwined with the light brown pastry! Maybe some wouldn't like it because it is conspicuously artificial, as in the picture below, which shows how the earthy green and brown gives way to a sprightly green and white inside. I guess in the past, I wouldn't have liked the unnaturalness of it all either... but lately I've been more inclined to appreciate creativity and art in food... and you hardly come across such a happy green croissant.

Also, I think green is a relatively natural colour... and in this case, the green went well with the light brown... like I said, reminds me of greenery and woods.
The earthy green and brown gives way to a sprightly green and white inside.
Anyway, it was great gastronomically too! This croissant is in sharp contrast to that of St Marc Cafe's croissants (one of which was featured in this post). While St Marc Cafe's croissants are more to the sweet side and I believe use margarine of some sort, this one was very savoury and chock full of buttery fragrance... as I reheated it to get it crispy, the buttery aroma wafted through the kitchen.

The savoury taste was also a surprise as I had associated matcha more with sweetness. So the combination was very interesting indeed! As a normal croissant, it was already outstanding... no doubt their original croissants would sell like hotcakes as a classic.

Despite the strong colouring, though, the green tea flavour was very mild... I had difficulty distinguishing it, so I was at first kinda disappointed. But then I think there were these pockets of sweet green tea paste which livened up the whole croissant, so you got some variance in the taste from mouthful to mouthful. And I guess after a while, I began to appreciate that the flavour was not overpowering, but kinda subtle and refined.

I guess I just felt a bit deceived by the strong colour at first. But this subtlety in the flavour is probably more refined and a fitting contrast to the loud colour. A nice work of art in that sense!

If you thought this was interesting, stay tuned... the dark croissant was more so. =D

Found this puff interesting? Check out more unusual pastries here!

Comments