A Flowery Spin on Chinese Tea: Lotus Tea

I discovered this interesting tea on the drink menu at Comnam Broken Rice Bowl @ Raffles City, Singapore. It's actually a Vietnamese joint... and since it's the first time I had even heard of lotus tea, I wonder if it really is a traditionally Vietnamese drink, or whether it is associated with the region in general, or perhaps even if it belongs more to another culture. 
Lotus tea in a turquoise pot. It looked like Chinese tea, only lighter.
Anyway, it was served like Chinese tea - warm and plain, without sugar. As you can see from the colour, it also looks roughly like Chinese tea in tone and shade, although the turquoise colour of the tea cup needs to be discounted first. It was probably lighter than Chinese tea though, because I can clearly see the bottom of the tea cup.

There were two main components to its taste. The bulk of it was a thick bitterness like thick Chinese black tea, leaving little room for the second part of its taste, which was the fragrance. I think this typical Chinese tea taste and bitterness came from the lotus leaves, which formed the majority of the brewing material... not sure what that is called - tea grounds? O_o
It was brewed mostly from lotus leaves, with some bits of what I think is lotus flowers, apparently the carpels.
Nonetheless, the fragrance was distinct, and I believe that it was provided by the little round flowery parts with a spike that you see on the spoon. Looks like the carpel of the flower. And given that it is lotus tea, it should be the lotus flower?

I find its scent hard to describe, but it felt to me like an exotic and herb-like flowery fragrance. I would also describe it as sweet in nature, even though I know that sweetness is technically not an olfactory experience. And for some reason, I thought it reminded me of hibiscus, although I frankly cannot recall if I have had an actual experience tasting hibiscus. Perhaps it was the scent of hibiscus that I have experienced before. Anyway, it was this flowery scent that really distinguishes it. Like a flowery spin on Chinese tea! 

I also liked how the flowery scent was kind of dainty, although the intense bitterness from the leaves may have been too overwhelming. Maybe they should have added more flower carpels and reduced the proportion of leaves.

It was priced rather affordably - just S$2.60. Cheap for an exotic new experience! A worthwhile experience if it's convenient enough, like if you're in the area. Or else, see if there's a Vietnamese restaurant or joint nearby and check their menu for lotus tea haha.
~~~
Update: I did a search and apparently, it is really Vietnamese! The parts of the lotus flower they use are apparently the stamen.

Found this drink interesting? Check out more unusual drinks here!

Comments