Avocado... nut?

I saw this flavour of donut at J. Co in Raffles City, Singapore, and absolutely had to try it. Mainly because I would never in my wildest imagination associate avocado with donuts, other than the "do" in their names. =P Furthermore, there was this green chocolate-like coating... so I thought, Surely that's not avocado chocolate? O_o
J. Co Singapore's Avocado Donut.
Well, the donut filling tasted like mildly-flavoured avocado shake, with a tinge of coffee-like or dark aromatic flavour. Y'know, like how they make the avocado milk shakes locally, with a dash of gula melaka (palm sugar)? And I believe it's the gula melaka meant-to-be taste that came across as a bit of coffee... like how the Kobe Pudding KitKat tasted a bit like coffee because of the caramel taste. I'm not sure if they used real gula melaka though.
The whitish filling that tasted like local avocado milk shake.
Also, unfortunately for my sense of curiousity, the chocolate-like coating on top was not avocado chocolate icing. T_T Or at least, maybe it was too mildly flavoured... but it has the same effect of being ordinary to me. It tasted to me like mildly salted white chocolate icing. Which was very interesting, and appropriate in my opinion. I'm not sure if the saltiness was intentional or just a part of their normal chocolate icing formula, because it is quite common to put a bit of salt into chocolate to enhance its flavour. But it was a nice counter to the richness of the cream filling and the overall sweetness of the donut.

All in all, an interesting find, because I would never have thought of eating avocado with donut. And the gula melaka addition through association with the specific combination in the avocado milk shake that we drink in the region was especially noteworthy. I wonder if that combination is also enjoyed elsewhere, especially in Japan, since I think this chain is a Japanese one. Or perhaps it is a local invention, as I don't see the flavour on their international site. (Although, neither is it on the Singapore site...) If so, it is a praiseworthy local initiative and innovation indeed!

A minor disappointment, though, is that I didn't feel that the grassy avocado taste came through strongly enough. But I suppose that's pretty pardonable, since avocados generally aren't very strongly flavoured anyway.

And in case you're curious, the other two flavours in the background were mango and green tea - both pretty common flavours, so I didn't think it was worth blogging about.

Comments