Of Peanuts, Peas and Beans...

So I stumbled upon some peanut butter (from online shopping on Walmart.com) that confirms the pea/bean portion of my hypothesis on why green tea powder + kinako = green pea taste... Naturally More's peanut butter has interesting ingredients - pea protein, flax seed and molasses. I tried this soon after a mouthful of the kinako-tasting soy butter, and felt that they tasted similar. I think it's due to the similarity of the pea protein in Naturally More and the soy in Wowbutter.
Naturally More organic peanut butter.
Anyway, I really liked this peanut butter... probably ranks among my favourites! I think it was firstly because the pea protein added a beany dimension to the peanut flavour, and secondly because the molasses added a unique malty, caramel-like taste to the overall experience. I'd say the overall taste was probably 40% roasted peanut, 40% pea taste, and 20% molasses taste.
It was a unique blend of peanuts, pea protein, flax seed and molasses.
The ground flax seed gave it a nice texture too, like coarsely-ground sesame seed where the testa provides a bit of grainy chewy material.

Plus, it's also healthy! The pea protein probably lowers the glycaemic index and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. The flax seed probably supplements more fibre to your diet than the average peanut butter. And the molasses probably helps to sweeten it without increasing the glycaemic index too much. At least, that's my theory of it.

I was quite addicted to it... I wonder if there's a cheaper way to get it into Singapore, since it was shipped as an individual item from Walmart.com I think, making the shipping component very expensive. Definitely worth the first try... but the cost feels inhibitive for a repeat experience...

Comments