Popcorn Roti Jala

I often notice a long queue at the Hajjah Mariam Cafe @ Westgate, Singapore... have eaten there a few times and I suppose I can see why - friendly people, constantly-changing menu (especially their snacks), and unique offerings. On one occasion, we bought back these little flower-shaped snacks, and thought they were a lovely tea-time supplement! Unfortunately, I have no idea what they're called. Tried googling based on the ingredients that I could discern, but I couldn't find them.
Spiced, savoury Malay snack with mutton... like popcorn roti jala.
The batter reminded me a lot of the roti jala batter in terms of texture, colour and flavour (mainly due to the tumeric). Like the jala batter, it was soft, smooth and slightly bouncy... smooth like takoyaki batter I guess, but much firmer and more substantial.

Along with the other ingredients of fried shallots, cumin, chilli, and bits of ground mutton, it really reinforced the theme of a good roti jala dish. Except this was bite-sized, neat and finger-friendly, hence my choice to christen it "popcorn roti jala". (^-^)

A really nice innovation, assuming it's a new item that is. It's probably less fuss and mess to make and eat than roti jala, because having to make the net pattern tends to create a mess with the batter dripping and dangling everywhere, from what I've seen of people making roti jala on the spot.

If they sold this regularly, I would probably consider it as a savoury kueh that I can share with others for potluck tea time gatherings. Unfortunately, their items come and go irregularly from my casual observation. I suppose I'll have to order it specifically.

Comments