McPisang

It's basically a banana pie that I ordered from McDonald's. (Pisang is banana in Malay.)
Banana pie from McDonald's... surprisingly good!
I didn't think this was anything unusual when I ordered it, but after I'd sunk my teeth into it, it was so strikingly reminiscent of our local goreng pisang (deep fried banana fritters) snack that it came across as a Western, fast-food take on the local delight.

And it was quite good! The smooth banana flavour and sweetness of the filling paired perfectly with the crispy fried pie shell. And because the pie shell actually had a good taste of wheat flour, it had a "fuller" taste than the usual goreng pisang batter... I think they usually use some starch for those and the coating of batter usually comes across as more greasy to me than this pie.

Well, it was nice to discover that a local snack can be reborn as an improved version on the menu of a commonplace and Western fastfood eatery. (^-^)

Comments