Matcha Kinako Honey Toast

So we had a loaf of matcha bread from La Patis @ Siam Paragon, Thailand, and I decided to improvise using the toasted soy butter that I had shipped over from the US for a traditional Japanese dessert combination in a new format. The soy butter was the kinako element. Unfortunately, I didn't have kuromitsu, so I just used honey... but it would probably have been truly completely Japanese with kuromitsu. Still, honey's ok because the Japanese use it quite a bit too - it's just not associated as something that is traditionally theirs.
Matcha kinako toast with honey.
Verdict: I absolutely loved it!

As mentioned, the matcha bread was very well done, with a strong matcha fragrance. The bitterness of the matcha went excellently with the toasted soy taste. And the chlorophyll tea flavour of the matcha also matched the nutty soy taste.

The honey provided some sweetness to counter the bitterness, as well as some moisture to the otherwise potentially dry and gooey combination of toasted bread and finely-blended soy butter.

It was such a good combination that I repeated this with every slice of matcha bread in the loaf. ^______^

Comments