Moscato Soursop

Another interesting cake from The Assembly Ground - Moscato Soursop. I hardly see soursop used in such baked desserts... I only know of the soursop drink and the soursop shaved ice dessert found in common coffee shops and food courts in Singapore, so there's definitely much ground to explore in incorporating soursop in dishes. And I thought this dish was executed splendidly.
Moscato Soursop
The star of the cake was the cream between the sponge layers, which was a delightful mixture of chunks of refreshing tart fruit with smooth cream. There was also the taste of soursop in the cream itself. 

The chunks of soursop also made for a nice chewing experience, providing some smooth fibrous chewiness to the otherwise fluffy or creamy cake.

Given its name of moscato, I presume there was some liqueur in the cream too, but I didn't really notice it. Not that it mattered - the cream was good enough.

It also wasn't too sweet, which was what I had been apprehensive about when deciding whether to order it.

I suppose the only thing that I wasn't really impressed by was the visual effect... I thought the green was an interesting colour, especially since it reflects the actual fruit's colour combination - green outside and white inside. But the green effect somehow looked too artificial and cheap, and the orange fruit (I think it was an especially dark-orangey gooseberry) and chocolate garnishing made it somehow look tacky.

Nonetheless, even my friends who weren't fond of soursop or sour fruits were impressed by it. A refreshing and light cake to be enjoyed on hot days, and a unique and pleasant find indeed!

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments