Chicken You Can Eat Whole

I was intrigued when I saw this item on the menu of Malioboro Soft Bone Chicken @ Juront Point - "soft bone chicken with salted egg sauce". Not only am I a fan of salted egg sauce, but I really wanted to see if the chicken bones were really completely edible... well, for a quick answer, see the second image. 
Soft bone chicken with salted egg sauce.
The Malioboro chain originated in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia. They pressure cook the chicken to get its bones soft, and apparently, there's a "correct" way to do it to get the desired soft bone results. I presume they then proceed to deep fry or cook the chicken further if the dish requires it. Apparently, every 100g of chicken bone contains about 9.1 grams of calcium and 5.6mg of iron... the daily recommended calcium requirement for adults is only about 1 gram. O_o So you probably don't want to eat this too often either. 
I pierced right through the thigh bone with a plastic fork!
Anyway, the bones were really soft... the image above shows my plastic fork piercing the drumstick bone, which is usually very tough. And the image below shows that even the marrow-rich part at the head of the bone can be easily split apart. That would be where the majority of the iron comes from, I presume.
The head of the bone could be completely split open, exposing the marrow.
Taste wise, it was good overall! In general, I find it hard for one to go wrong with salted egg sauce in terms of taste. 

BUT, in this case, the one thing that I didn't like was that it was too oily. If you look carefully at the pictures, you can see that the chicken is kinda swimming in the oil of the salted egg sauce.

Value-wise, I felt it was *just* bordering expensive. I paid about $11 for a plate of rice, this chicken, some deep fried Malay/Indonesian crackers (keropok) and a relatively plain soup. So most of the value went into the piece of chicken, which was only of average size, and there was only enough sauce for the chicken. I would have preferred more sauce and perhaps some veggies... not too much to ask I think. Furthermore, I ordered it in a food court setting, so it wasn't like I received any restaurant service. Finally, they stated the price as $9.50 but added on GST to it because they were acting like a restaurant. 

I suppose it's only worth it if you eat in and expect it to be a full fledged restaurant. Still, perhaps their method of cooking is more labour/energy intensive or something. And it's not everyday that you find soft bone chicken, so I suppose they do have some right to charge higher. Oh well... I might come back again after all.

Comments