Black Sesame with Mung Bean and Sugar-Free Chestnut Lotus with Black Sesame Mooncakes

I start on the second box of Yong Sheng mooncakes. To see both boxes of 8 mooncakes and a review of the first 2 flavours (gula melaka and yam red date), go here. For the next 2 flavours, rose red bean and pineapple lava, see here

This box is called "Field of Autumn". Its four flavours are officially Gingko Black Sesame Mooncake, Fire Rose Mooncake, Sunrise Horizon Mooncake and Gula Melaka Mooncake, which I believe is the exact same one as in the first box but with a different shape on the outside.

The Sunrise Horizon Mooncake is chestnut-flavoured lotus paste mooncake with a black sesame paste core. What's notable is that it is sugar-free, sing maltitol syrup and isomalt in place of sugar! The chestnut flavour was quite faint, but I guess it definitely tasted different from normal pure lotus. There was a slight nutty and earthy chestnut fragrance. It was even harder to tell when eaten together with the black sesame core. Overall, it was an interesting flavour that was pleasant to the palate, and less guilt from it being sugar-free is definitely a huge perk that makes the pleasure more guilt free. But I don't really get how this pairing complements each other. 

Sugar-Free Chestnut Lotus with Black Sesame Mooncake
The next one was my favourite of the two boxes - salted mung bean paste with a hearty, thick and fragrant black sesame paste core. I love black sesame, and it is possibly my favourite mooncake filling. The creamy, savoury mung bean paste seemed to really enhance the black sesame fragrance, such the black sesame core was a lot more prominent than many pure black sesame mooncakes I've tried. I believe it could be because of the pairing. The saltiness of the mung bean paste also made the mooncake much more appetising, staving off the feeling of being sick of eating oily mooncake pastes. This is one of my favourite flavours ever, and I'm definitely getting this again next year if it's still available!
Black Sesame with Mung Bean Mooncake
Want to see other interesting mooncake flavours? Check out other unusual mooncakes here!

Comments