Hokkaido Pumpkin Croquette
~ *almost* Halloween material

So this is not officially Halloween food, but well it's pumpkin, so it's related haha.

There's a new Japanese bento stall in the Takashimaya basement, Singapore, and from my experience, the food is awesome! The Singaporean cashier speaks Japanese, and the 2 chefs I saw were Japanese. So it's authentic. They also sell croquettes and onigiri!

Aside from a bento that I got, I added on this Hokkaido pumpkin croquette because I'd never tried it before.
It looked like an ordinary circular croquette on the outside.
In short, it was awesome! The pumpkin was very smooth, buttery and sweet. Yet, the pumpkin mix was also savoury. And I'm sure there was some onion in the pumpkin mix too... possibly shallots, but I'm not sure. It just reminded me of an onion taste.
But the pumpkin mix filling was a vibrant orangey yellow and appetising.
There were also these nice green streaks of pumpkin skin inside, which gave it a nice contrast of colours against the orangey-yellow pumpkin. And I suppose it gives you more roughage too.

Given the circular shape of the croquette and the pumpkin ingredient, all they need to turn this into a seasonal speciality is some mayonnaise outlining a jack-o'-lantern wicked grin haha. Or even just label it as a Hokkaido Halloween special.

Maybe they thought that would kill the authenticity of it being authentically Japanese I suppose. But heck, it's already fusion food, in that croquettes were imported into Japanese culture, so why not?

Comments