McDessert Time!!

A lot of people I know seem to be dissing fast food... but my personal opinion is that they tend to be good value. Meaning the price and the quality tend to match.

And I think fast food companies do a great service to society, giving many poor people three meals a day. In the US, for example, many McDonald's eateries in the suburbs are frequented by the poor and even the homeless, who fill their stomachs with their US$1 McDouble burgers and other good deals.

Anyway, in Singapore, I love to try McDonald's seasonal menus, especially their pies and desserts.

This month, they have the mango pineapple pie.
McDonald's marketing poster for their latest seasonal menu items.Mango pineapple pie.
The filling wasn't a complete mix of mango and pineapple together, but it seemed more to me like pineapple chunks in mango sauce.

The flavour of the mango sauce came across as rather artificial, like that of the cheap mango pudding jellies you can get in the supermarkets. I couldn't really taste the pineapple flavour distinctly.

Nonetheless, I thought it was a good idea - with the mango providing the flavour and the pineapple providing the chewy texture. I suppose mango chunks would have just disintegrated into a gooey lump.

Anyway, this combination paired with the standard McDonald's fried pie pastry proved a rather refreshing combination of tart and sweet flavours, as well as crispy, chewy and soft textures all at once. I'd recommend you to at least give it a try, especially since it costs just $1!

For their ice creams, they have honeydew McFlurry.
The honeydew McFlurry was a barely-distinguishable green.
Their marketing poster of this McFlurry was conspicuously green. (Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get a picture of it for this dessert, and it's apparently so new that it's not up on the official website.) But as you can see, the colour was rather mild in the actual product... you almost have to imagine it. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing though. I'm not a fan of green... but I do like rich colours in my food.

The flavour was nice - the standard melon flavour you get in melon milks and candies. Nothing to complain about. They also had the standard McFlurry cereal crunch bits mixed in.

Another good point was that it was relatively cheap - just $2.80. I don't find cheap melon-flavoured ice creams around... they're usually only available from Italian gelato or gourmet ice cream stalls, which would price it at at least $3.50 or $4 per scoop. So if you love melon flavours, here's a convenient way to get a cheap fix!

Overall, although there was nothing unexpected about this, it was nonetheless a nice and refreshing combination, and at good value too!
~~~
Update (2 Nov 2014): They finally uploaded the official Honeydew McFlurry promotional image! The image makes it look much greener, almost like a matcha green.
Official Honeydew McFlurry promo image.
Image by McDonald's, from their official website

Comments