Sandwiffle or Wafflich?

What else do you call a waffle sandwich?

I tried this at Griddy Gourmet Waffles in the Westgate food basement, because I wanted to see how well waffles do sandwiches or burgers. I think this is called "Aloha Hawaiian" and it cost $7.90. The drink was added on.

It was a chicken steak glazed with sweet and sour sauce - what the menu called "mango salsa", I believe.
Sweet & sour chicken waffle sandwich.
The Bad

The overall concept was lacking. I felt that the sauce was a misnomer... I may have remembered wrongly, but I thought they called it salsa. I didn't remember much onions, tomato chunks or coriander in the salsa itself. It was more like a simple sweet and sour sauce, perhaps with sparse small cubes of veggies that I didn't really recognise.

Also, it was unfortunate that I picked this flavour, because I felt that the sweet and sour chicken didn't go well with the waffle. Both the chicken and the waffle were on the sweet side... the pineapple too. And the tomato, the pineapple and the chicken were also all on the sour side. I felt like it was sweet and sour overkill.

A savoury sandwich sauce should have been used to complement the already sweet waffle (which is natural I suppose, because of the batter used). They did have those options on the menu... I remember some beef patty with mushrooms and other more savoury sandwiches. I guess I just picked the wrong one.

The Good

Having said that, there's nothing to complain about regarding the execution of the dish - the chicken was done well, the pineapple was a nice addition of flavour and texture, and the waffle was nice and crispy.

Thumbs up too for reinforcing the waffle theme with waffle-cut fries (barely visible behind the sandwich in the picture).

The crispiness of the waffle was also a nice complement to the meat... normally, sandwich or burger buns are not crispy like waffles... but rather crunchy if they're toasted. So that was unique indeed.

Finally, I loved the presentation and their use of a wooden tray to serve the food. It enhanced the whole theme of the brand and design, and added that warm touch to the food.

Comments