A different kind of natto...

I've been exploring various kinds of natto (or nattou 納豆) recently. Kinda gave in to the tempting array of colourfully-wrapped natto boxes in J-Mart and Isetan.

Out of the many that I've tried, two in particular stood out to me. Both happen to be from J-Mart, Star Vista Mall, Singapore.

Black Bean Natto
Black bean natto wrapper.Black bean natto, after stirring the accompanying packet of sauce in.
Aside from the variety of bean, I guess these are also slightly larger than the average natto bean. But the different size also contributed more to the overall effect - I felt the natto was heartier and more earthy.

The black bean skin (the testa, I suppose, if I still remember my plant biology accurately) was coarser and more prominent than the finer white bean one. It also stuck in my teeth more, so I'm glad I didn't meet anyone after having this, or there may have been some black bits in my teeth. >_< The bean texture itself was also coarser, I think.

Flavour-wise, the earthy black bean flavour was prominent. I'm not sure if the tare (sauce) contributed to it. But I thought the black bean flavour went quite well with the soy-based tare.

Overall, quite a pleasant discovery! I may get this again.

Chopped Natto
Chopped natto wrapper.Chopped natto after stirring the accompanying packet of sauce in.
This was basically natto that was chopped into relatively fine bits. It's interesting, but overall highly unsatisfying.

I felt that the natto being chopped so finely made me feel like I was perpetually biting into nothing, especially since natto is already slippery enough. So it made for a very irritating chewing experience in a constipated way.

Next, I felt that the bean flavour wasn't prominent at all. Not sure if it's because I was distracted by the irritation of chewing, or lack thereof. But I guess being chopped so finely, they probably removed the testa in the process, which took away from the beany flavour.

Well, I generally eat these boxes of natto plain, on its own. Perhaps this chopped version would go better with rice and raw egg or negitoro, where the texture and flavour are mitigated by the other ingredients... and perhaps the smoother texture of finer pieces would go better with rice or something.

Still, it was fun trying out all the different varieties and appreciating the subtle differences!

Comments