Local Candies Part II

This is a continuation of a recent post of candies which I bought from Yang Hua Cake House.

Actually, I guess the foods featured in this posts may not exactly be candies... prolly more like "cakes" this time.

Rice Cakes

First up, we have black sesame rice cake (at the bottom) and peanut rice cake!
Peanut and black sesame rice cakes.
The peanut one is easier to introduce, so I'll start there. Basically, it's like a dried (baked, perhaps?), slightly crunchy version of the traditional peanut-flavoured kueh tutu. Except I thought it was a tad bit more savoury. It also had a white sesame flavour to it, as is normal with such peanut snacks. The peanut flavour is slightly lighter, owing to it being mixed up with the rice flour rather than being concentrated as a filling in the normal kueh tutu.

The black sesame version was somewhat similar, but less savoury and without the peanut taste. The sesame flavour was also not very distinct. I have never seen a sesame kueh tutu before, though, so this sesame + rice flour combination was interesting for me to try.

Black Sesame Rice Cake II
A kind of black sesame mochi.
(There weren't supposed to be white sesame seeds... they just rubbed off from the other items.)

This was also labeled "black sesame rice cake". See, even the makers have trouble figuring out distinct names for these things. From its name, though, at least we can infer that they used rice flour. 
 
In short, it's a black sesame mochi, with the typical mochi soft gummy texture. The sesame flavour was quite faint though, although it was definitely there. It was also a bit too sweet in my opinion.

Overall, not something I liked very much, and I wouldn't buy this again.

La Ming

This was a weird cake/candy indeed. But I enjoyed it very much. I believe the Chinese characters for it are 腊明. I'm certain of the first character, but not the second. I tried googling it up, but couldn't find any page on it... just a random blog comment *asking* about its recipe.
A unique gooey, but light and refreshing savoury snack.
It is actually a very gooey cake indeed. The analogy that comes to mind is "the blob". XD But yeah, it's not even chewy... just gooey. If you pick it up between your thumb and index finger, the rest of it will begin to slowly pinch off and fall back down to the plate.

And it has a sweet-savoury flavour. It reminds me of pom piah, so I think they used fried shallots for its flavour. I don't know how else to describe the taste.

But it was an unusually refreshing and light savoury snack, due to the unique combination of the texture and flavour.

Comments