Orange Flourless Cake

I had this at Pies & Coffee @ Turf Club City and really enjoyed it, along with the ambience of the place, so I thought I'd share.

It's the cake on the right... the label is wrong haha.
It's described as a gluten-free cake made with almond meal and orange peel. (The labels were mistakenly swopped.)The melty ice cream kept sliding off and I had to keep pushing it back in place to take the shot.
What struck me was that I couldn't distinguish the lack of flour in its flavour. It came across as an eggy steamed cake with orange peel, although I have no idea if they really used egg. The description also says they use almond meal! Cool. =)

I love that it was served warm - the eggy flavour with the steamy-warm cake made it very comforting indeed.

The only flaw was the ice cream - it was too melty and should have been served separately perhaps. I also had the feeling that it was kinda cheap ice cream which used vegetable oil. You can even see it from the way it melts in the picture above... good quality ice cream that used cream would be a LOT shinier than this matt-looking one.

Aside from this, I've tried their pies and other offerings, and overall I think their quality is consistently good. So I'd recommend this to anyone.

In particular, their Turf City branch is relatively quiet, even on a weekend evening. We were here at around 8pm on a Saturday. It's a lovely ambience for just chilling and chatting, or journaling and reflecting.

Comments