Decorative Japanese Candies

I saw these on one of my trips to Japan... I love their propensity to make art out of everything, especially food.

This was especially intriguing also because it was food-imitating food!
Bento-like candy display.
"Meat and Western bento" candies.
Basically, it was candy arranged to look like a Japanese bento set. The one on the left is supposed to be a mock meat bento, with the white spiky candies (konpeito 金平糖 or 金米糖) imitating rice, and the red candy in the middle the pickled plum that they sometimes garnish on top.

The one on the right is a a Western-styled bento set. Presumably, the yellow spiky things are either corn or mashed potato, and the green ones are perhaps peas.

They also had other kinds of decorative candies, like a flower range:
Flower-themed decorative candies.
I guess it's too bad that they're probably only nice to look at, not eat. At least, I've tried konpeito before, and they're just plain sweet, without much flavour. I'm not sure about these pastel-coloured ones though...

I wonder if people actually eat them. I guess so... I know a lot of people like konpeito. And well, many Americans seem to like eating Peeps too, which are almost pure sugar... So I guess these products have their niche market.

Comments