Indian Street Food Part I

I managed to snatch a deal from a new app I downloaded called Sugar - $1 for a sampler of three chaat at The Curry Hut @ Holland Village, Singapore, which would normally cost $12! (Don't worry, I ordered one more item because I was happy with this one, and I was the only customer for a while, so I probably contributed to their breaking even. ^_^)

Chaat is Indian street food, which are savoury snacks usually served from roadside carts or stalls. I always love street food because it's so full of the flavour of the heartlands, there are so many varieties of such food, and they are usually way cheaper than having a proper meal. As I love to try different stuff, I would rather buy three snacks from street food stalls than one main meal. That I could enjoy this in an air-conditioned and quiet restaurant was such a big bonus!

Today, I'll feature the first item - puff rice with tamarind and mint sauce.
Puff rice marinated with tamarind, and mint sauce. Topped with murukku.
The cracker sticks on top are murukku fragments, which is usually made from chickpea flour and cumin.

This is what it looks like underneath:
Digging past the layer of murukku reveals a chaotic medley of ingredients.
The rice puffs were marinated in tamarind, which is a sour pod-like fruit. So the general dominant taste was a sweet and sour one, reminding me of lemon sauce.

The mint flavour was the next most dominant. Interestingly, the menu did not describe these chaat, but I noted these tastes down before the waiter gave me the name of the dish, which talked about the mint. So despite the chaotic mix of ingredients, it appears to be rather deliberately put together.

There was a whole bunch of other stuff inside, like peanuts, some kind of leaves (which didn't look like mint), and even bright red and green bits, which looked like some other kind if Indian cracker.

As you can tell from the ingredients, the texture includes a spectrum of varying levels of crunchiness and firmness. The murukku was the crunchiest, being the topmost layer that generally escaped the sauces. The rice puffs weren't that crispy since they had tamarind sauce, but were still something you could munch on.

The because the rice puff flavour was so distinct, the overall effect was a very zesty and savoury breakfast trail mix. A perfect appetiser - I would have this again anytime!

An Amazing Dining Experience

I'll cover the other snacks in other posts, but for now, I would like to highlight the wonderful experience I had at the Curry Hut. The waiter delivered awesome service, asking for feedback unobtrusively, and when I asked about the dishes, he patiently explained each item with a very gentle disposition.

The ambience was also first rate. Strong air-conditioning provided a cool respite from the midday heat. They played light and appropriate Indian traditional dance or folk music in the background. And, as mentioned, there were only a few other patrons from time to time. Most of the time, I was alone. So well, try to support them yeah?

I thought the dish of three chaats was worth the full $12 for all this, so the $1 was a steal!

Comments