Spread-a-Cookie!

Speculoos is is a spiced shortcrust biscuit, traditionally consumed for Christmas in some parts of Europe, especially the Netherlands, Belgium and some parts of Germany. Think of it as a kind of gingerbread cookie, with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and sometimes other spices. 

One brand, Lotus, however, caramelised it and used only cinnamon. And then... in a stroke of pure genius, they turned it into this spread. And like peanut butter, they even have both the creamy and crunchy versions!
Biscoff speculoos spread in two variants - creamy or crunchy, like peanut butter!
I first heard about speculoos from a friend who had lived in Holland and fell in love with the biscuit... then I too fell in love with it after getting my hands on some Lotus caramelised versions. They are probably my favourite cookies ever, because the caramelised taste really adds a richness to the cookie rather than just being sweet, like most freshly-baked Famous Amos or Mrs. Fields cookies. Furthermore, the woodiness of the cinnamon complements the slight burnt taste of the caramel perfectly. 

They also recommend it as an accompaniment to coffee, and although I have never tried it, I can see why, because the aroma and bitterness of the coffee should go well... as you know, some people like to put caramel and cinnamon or even nutmeg with their coffee.
Lotus caramelised speculoos cookies.

Anyway, I've seen this spread version around for quite some time, but was hesitant to buy it because a whole bottle of spread is just too much for me to finish, given that I normally don't eat bread and wouldn't otherwise use spreads... But then I stumbled upon the Spanish frozen yoghurt chain Llao Llao, which gives you a little container of the creamy version of the spread as a yoghurt topping when you order takeaway yoghurt, so I played cheat. >D

So what does it go well with? Well, basically anything... As Llao Llao would recommend, pairing it with yoghurt is an option, although I thought that the tartness of the yoghurt should go with something more flowery or fragrant, rather than the burnt caramel and woody cinnamon taste. Maybe plain vanilla ice cream would be better than yoghurt, since the creaminess would have filled out the cinnamon and caramel taste in a neutral way.

I, on the other hand, piled carbs upon carbs ehehe... spreading it on bread...
Biscoff spread on bread and a lavender butter cookie.
...and even another cookie as you can see it sitting on top of the slice of bread. I know, yes it probably sounds ridiculous - spreading a cookie spread on a cookie. XD Well, the cookie was a lavender all butter cookie from Crabtree & Evelyn, and the mellow herb fragrance of the lavender and buttery taste of the cookie went unexpectedly well with the cinnamon and caramel taste of the spread!

I also used it on some French pastries, in this case madeleines.
Biscoff speculoos spread on madeleines.
Aside from carbs, I should think it would also go well with anything that is often paired with caramel and cinnamon or similar spices... use it as a topping with apple pie, or even mix it into the filling itself. 

Or cut fresh pineapples or apples, and use the spread as a dip for these fruits. In fact, I think I'll try that out myself... =D 

And this is possibly a bit of a radical idea, but since people serve ham honey-baked or apple-baked, and often adorn it with pineapple and clove garnishings, I'm wondering it this spread would go well as a sauce for apple- or honey-baked ham. Lemme know if you think of other bright ideas!

Comments