Pure Ginger Madeleine

I have a couple of random pastries that I wanted to comment on briefly, so I'm posting this and another post on consecutive days. The first is this ginger madeleine. It's the rightmost one in the group of three, all of which were purchased from Chez Shibata in Hong Kong.
Ginger and honey madeleine.Madeleines and cakes from Chez Shibata, Hong Kong.
I've tried plenty of ginger-flavoured pastries, but most of them have ginger spices. This was one of my first times trying ginger cake without any spices, and I thought it was really nice. They used real ginger, along with honey and almond powder. And of course, just pure butter, no margarine... yay! So it was overall of high quality - moist and buttery.

It had a mild ginger flavour that was more like a fragrance, and there was some mild spiciness too. A pure, refined but distinct ginger flavour, not the overpowering or over-spiced kind of experience like in gingerbread or European-style ginger cookies. I couldn't make out the honey taste though. Still, def like!

The leftmost flavour was orange... but the flavour was too faint, so it just tasted like a standard good plain madeleine. The one in the middle was vanilla almond flavour, which had a strong and rich vanilla taste... kinda reminding me of condensed milk. But both these varieties were relatively normal, so that's all I'll say of it.

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments