The Rose

So... I got a couple more cakes from Flor Patisserie! But only one was relatively unique IMO - their sliced cake simply called "Bara". Bara means "rose" in Japanese... and just a look at the cake and it's obvious why. They used rose cremeux on top, so it's not just the name and appearance.
"Bara" or "Rose" cake from Flor.
At this point, I wanted to point out how I loved the entire theme of the presentation... makes me think of weddings, purity and romance. Aside from the rose motif, the plastic sheet they rested the cake on reminds me very much of the bridal veil, and the pink-white-gold combination makes the theme complete. I also loved how the gentle pink cream was piped out into the intricate petal arrangement of a rose.

The cake itself comprised three layers. The first is the rose-flavoured cremeux, which is a firm kind of cream, not unlike the really really soft puddings that people put in bubble tea, or that the Japanese refer to. It was light and not too sweet, but well-infused with rose fragrance.
The three layers of the cake - rose creameux, longan bavarois and sponge cake.
The next layer was longan bavarois, basically whipped cream with gelatin embedded in it. You can see a large and slightly transparent glob to the right is the gelatin. I'm not sure if the cream also had longan flavour infused in it, but it felt to me like most of the longan flavour was in the gelatin. There were also bits of longan in it that added a chewy experience and slight crunch of canned longan, which was really pleasant, as most of the cake is rather soft.

The rose and longan's fragrant flavours complemented each other very much, with both being relatively soothing and soft with a hint of musk, if I can think of how to articulate the flavours. It's like how the almond-longan combination goes really well together, because both have that very slight musky aspect to their taste.

The bottom layer was normal fluffy sponge cake. It provided proper base for the cake, since the other two layers were mostly cream, and gave the cake substance. Or rather, it made the cake qualify as a cake instead of being a cream dessert I suppose.

The sponge layer also seemed to have a hint of saltiness, which I felt balanced the sweetness of the creamy layers really well.

This small slice of cream and sponge cost a whopping $9.10 though. Granted, the quality was very high, with pure and fresh cream being used. And there was a lot of ingenuity to it. But I thought that the price was too much of a stretch. Maybe it's because of the effort taken to pipe the rose petal-like cream... well, even so, this would probably be the only time I buy it, just to try.
~~~
The other cake I tried was their matcha red bean Swiss roll, which I couldn't find featured on their site. I'll just briefly comment, since it's not too unusual a combination given that I featured this green tea red bean roll cake before that I bought from Hong Kong before. 

One big difference though, is that this one's in a totally different league. Firstly, just one glance at it and you know that it is artisan and high quality cake. Naturally, the cake itself had a rich matcha flavour, and was moist and soft. The creams they used were also of good quality.
Flor's matcha red bean cream Swiss roll.
Secondly, the green tea flavour was of the matcha variety, which is why I called it such. The red bean was also not so much of dessert paste like azuki paste, but was more of a milky red bean cream filling in the middle. It reminded me of red bean milk or ice cream.

Also, I initially thought that strawberries and matcha was a weird combination, and wondered why they chose to garnish it with strawberries. The red bean paste you see peeking out from the other side of the roll made more sense. However, I was surprised that the strawberries went surprisingly well! Think of it like bubble tea with a strawberry green tea combination of flavours! The tartness, sweetness and hint of bitterness from the tea somehow went well together.

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments