This was another novel brew on Guerilla Coffee's menu, which I didn't see the last time I came to try their Singapore Latte. It was called Marmalade Dirty, and it is made with some special marmalade base, their extra thick housemade MILBOK Double Milk and a double shot of espresso. It turned out to be one of the most intense drinks I've experienced, and adds to the growing list of fruit-flavoured milk coffees I've been trying.
I opted for their number 3 blend, which was the recommended one. The menu description was "full body dark chocolate, stone fruit & dark cherries, blend of Brazil & Sumatra". I think it contributed significantly to the good taste pairing in a good way, as I describe below. (For their other blends, see the photo below).
As you can see, they also have a transection slice of an orange floating on top. The pulp looks hollow, but I couldn't figure out if it is a fresh slice of orange with the pulp squeezed out (somewhere else) or a candied slice of orange, but it didn't seem to impart a very distinct flavour, most of which seemed to come from the drink itself.
I was initially expecting a fruity orange-flavoured milk taste to the coffee, but it turned out super different.
What hit me first as I sipped was more like an unusual coffee blend with unique caramel-malt notes as well as chocolate and cherry notes. After re-reading the blend description and seeing "stone fruit", it explained the caramel-malt taste perfectly. It is best described as the taste of moist dried apricots (the dark brown kind, not the bright orange kind), so it has notes of caramel but also this unusual malty and fruity taste.
There were also earthy and woody notes, possibly from the Sumatra beans too.
And over all this complexity, there were also distinct bright and herby citrus top notes. Not like an obvious orange-flavoured drink, yoghurt or marmalade, but somewhat subtler and blended into the coffee flavour.
Owing to their MILBOK Double Milk, it was also incredibly creamy to the point of feeling more viscous between the tongue and palate, almost like they used a heap of evaporated milk, but less tangy or sweet than evaporated milk.
Guerilla Coffee's Blend Menu
As mentioned, this is the photo of their list of coffee blends, including single origin. (Click to enlarge text.) Blend 3 looks more interesting than Blend 1, but their Columbia blend with kiwi and melon notes and their Papua New Guinea with jackfruit and strawberry notes sound absolutely tantalising, and I hope they stay on the menu long enough for me to try on a subsequent visit.
Summary
Overall, this packs so much intense flavour, creaminess and thickness that it feels more like a milkshake, frappe or dessert than a latte or dirty coffee, except that the sweetness level is far more acceptable. I would recommend treating it like a classier gourmet milkshake, and it is great if you want something to tantalise your taste buds without getting comatosed by a sugar rush or crash.
The only caveat is that it is only available for dine-in, as most dirty coffees are, due to the temperature requirements.
Discover other fruit-flavoured milk coffees and "dirty" coffee drinks & treats
- Buddy Apple Butter Latte by Luckin Coffee
- Ong Lai Latte (Pineapple Latte) by Luckin Coffee
- Gardenia Pear Flavoured Cafe Latte by Luckin Coffee
- Brown Sugar Plum Latte by Luckin Coffee
- (espresso on cold milk tea) Brown Rice Tea Dirty Coffee by Hanco Coffee
- (espresso on cold milk) Dirty Coffee from Asia - Greybox Coffee from China
- (espresso on cold milk) Pistachio Oat Latte vs Pistachio Dirty by Luckin Coffee
- (tea with coffee) Jasmine Cloud Latte by Luckin Coffee
- (tea with coffee) Ceylon Yuan Yang with Milk vs First Crush Tea Latte by Luckin Coffee
- Iced Dirty Mocha by Greybox Coffee
- (cake version of dirty matcha) Dirty Matcha Pound Cake by Hvala Kissa



Comments
Post a Comment