Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake (Ube Queso Cheesecake) by Queic by Olivia

It seems that ube is trending in Singapore now. Queic by Olivia recently launched an Ube series. They had both an Ube Queso Cheesecake (Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake), and an Ube Cloud Cheesecake. According to their staff, the main difference seemed to be that the cloud cheesecake has a crust at the bottom, which I believe is the same almond sable crust as their other cheesecakes with crust. But since I had a good experience with their Cheddar Basque Burnt Cheesecake previously, which also sported a yellow line of cheese in the middle, I decided to go with their Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake.
Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake (Ube Queso Cheesecake) by Queic by Olivia
I had absolutely no regrets. Their ube cheesecake had a very strong, prominent and characteristic ube flavour. It reminded me of the Chinese love letter waffle crisps where coconut and pandan flavours blend together with wheatflour and egg. 
Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake (Ube Queso Cheesecake) by Queic by Olivia - texture
The cheese was sharp, savoury and pleasant, and it cut through the fragrance to balance out the taste, preventing the strong ube notes of vanilla and pandan from becoming too cloying or resulting in aroma fatigue, despite how strong the fragrance was. I think it has the same effect as pairing fragrant pandan kaya with savoury and acidic cheese.

It was also not too sweet. 
Ube Basque Burnt Cheesecake (Ube Queso Cheesecake) by Queic by Olivia - close-up
There was an eggy custard taste that follows the initial ube fragrance and pop of cheese in the aftertaste, which added another layer of complexity. 

Overall, this was one of the better ube treats I've tried. You can check the others out in the links below.

Finally, this was the ube launch poster featuring the other cake (Ube Cloud Cheesecake) as well and the prices.
Ube Menu by Queic by Olivia - Ube Queso Cheesecake and Ube Cloud Cheesecake
Discover other ube, taro and yam treats

Comments