I haven't come across dragon fruit flavour desserts much, probably because it is such an elusive flavour. So when I saw Doutor in Japan offering the Dragon Fruit Yogurun (yoghurt drink), I had to try.
So what did I think about it? I felt it was a bit weird and not very natural as I have eaten real dragon fruit many times. The first impression I got is that it really reminded me of a bubblegum fruity flavour. This is because there is some vague fruity notes layered over a non-Greek, Yakult-type yoghurt taste (similar to some types of frozen yoghurts that taste a bit medicinal rather than milky). So it wasn't very pleasant on first impression.
It was also way too sweet for my liking. Maybe something like 10-12% sugar in grams per 100ml.
Actual dragon fruit has tartness over earthy notes, with mild sweetness and sometimes faint fruity notes. Most are not particular fruity save for some exceptionally sweet magenta varieties.
So I wouldn'r recommend this.
Just a note that it was actually pinker, but somehow in the process of brightening the photo, it ended up looking more red. It's a bit closer to the pink in the promotional standee below, but not quite as bright or as pink.
Thankfully, I had ordered a good staple of theirs, their Hokkaido Kabocha Tart or Pumpkin Tart.
It was so much nicer, with clear buttery vegetal notes. It went well with a plain wheaty short crust tart that wasn't buttery. (Or perhaps the pumpkin's buttery notes masked that of the tart pastry.)
They even had some occasional dark green kabocha pumpkin skin like in this picture. So it felt very natural.
Discover other dragon fruit, fruit and pumpkin treats
- Dragonfruit Mooncake by Yong Sheng
- Lychee Popping Joy Egg Tart by Joy Luck Teahouse
- D4 Durian Raspberry Cake and D24 Durian Tiramisu at Durian Desserts Buffet by Goodwood Park Hotel (Durian Fiesta 2026)
- Pawa Bakery Bagel flavours: Purple Sweet Potato, Pumpkin, Pandan Pistachio, Matcha White Chocolate Sourdough, Black Sesame Walnut and Coffee Boy Bagels
- Carrot, Pumpkin, Gobo, Yomogi (mug wort) and Purple Sweet Potato Macrobiotic Cookies
- Butternut Burnt Cheesecake by Muji Cafe & Meal
- Sweet Pumpkin Bread by Bakery 1946





Comments
Post a Comment