A zesty medley of fruity flavour

The English ingredients list officially called this a "mango madeleine", but it is so much more than that! Indeed, there were chunks of mango fruit pieces, but the cake itself is lemon-, not mango-flavoured. At first, I was misled by the English label and felt that there wasn't enough of a mango flavour to warrant the name. But then I realised that the mango and lemon combination went very well together, producing a very zesty and sweet combination. And indeed, what is printed on the front of the wrapper doesn't make any claim to being a "mango" madeleine either.
Fruits madeleine.They came individually-wrapped.
The cake was very smooth and moist, with a nice cakey flavour. And the ingredients list had two other surprises for me - honey and almond paste! I thought only financiers used almond paste in them, so this was a welcome surprise. Also, only butter is used - no weird vegetable oils or margarine.
A decent ingredients list.
Granted, there are some weird ingredients... but baking powder and citric acid are very normal. I think the only one I may have a problem with is sodium pyrosulfite - probably some kind of preservative.

I bought this from Rokumeikan in the Singapore Takashimaya store food basement, along the same row as Royce's store. Although I can't remember the price, I think it was around $2-3, which was decently-priced for its quality, and considering that it was imported from Japan, according to the sales lady. Highly recommended! I think it's a seasonal item, so if it's no longer selling, you may have to wait until next year heh.

Comments