Pandan & Pistachio Revisited

That was in reference to the pandan pistachio mooncake that I posted about in my *very* first post (!!! nostalgic moment). Although, this time the pandan is actually part of the overarching kaya taste. It's kaya pistachio cookies from Yakun Kaya Toast! (One of Singapore's homegrown companies, which makes me kinda eager to support.) I'd seen their shelf-stable cookies on sale for a while, but never quite had the occasion to eat them until recently. And I thought it was a good buy indeed!
Lovely heart-shaped kaya pistachio cookies... comfort cookies for the heart indeed!They came in medium-sized packets at $2.50 each.
Normally, local cookies sell for S$16 a bottle, which I would reckon is about 4-5 packs? This was S$2.50 a packet, so I thought it was good value.

Taste-wise, the pandan and pistachio flavours blended too well, so I couldn't tell the difference. I suspect though that there was no pistachio flavour in the cookie batter proper, so it was probably just the bits of nuts that you can see in the picture to give the cookie an added texture and a nice splash of colour in green, yellow and maroon.

Still, the pandan flavour was really rich, and I could see on the ingredients list that there was pandan added to the kaya which they used, as well as directly to the cookie batter itself. No wonder. 

Like in pandan kaya, the coconut and egg flavours were nice complements. Although the egg didn't stand out as much because many cookies have egg anyway. Still, I could taste it, and it went well with the pandan and the coconut.

Finally, I appreciated the heart shape that the cookies came in. It's a minor point, but it did make that extra difference that makes you feel like they put thought and effort into the product and gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I think this could be a good Chinese New Year cookie flavour if they marketed it as such. But I'm glad that they sell it regularly at a decent price, because it is a nice comfort cookie. (^___^)

Comments