Throwback to Chendol Softee

Pandan gula melaka is getting to be such a common combination nowadays... which does make me happy because I like it very much. Recently, I had the chance to try this pandan gula melaka soft serve ice cream by a Korean soft serve chain, HoneyCreme @ JEM, Singapore. 
Pandan gula melaka soft serve sundae, with gula melaka served in a dropper.
It really reminded me of the chendol softee that 7-eleven used to sell! It's not exactly the same, but I'm glad that it's similar enough to be nostalgic. And given that this is after all a Korean chain, it's great that they've really succeeded in adopting a local flavour quite authentically!
Honey Creme's diagram explaining their new flavours.
According to a lady at the counter, they used fresh pandan juice for the pandan part of the soft serve. Indeed, the cream was strong on fragrant pandan.

They served the gula melaka in a dropper. It really does seem out of place given the kampung-style, traditional ingredients... droppers are the stuff of labs and science research in my opinion. But I suppose cooks may use it frequently for measuring liquids in their cooking. 

Anyway, the dropper was probably a good method of quality control, to ensure the same amount of gula melaka in each serving, and it certainly was an interesting sight. Or perhaps it even helps customers to tailor the amount of sweetness they want, given that the ice cream is already sweet. And well, in the end, my dad kept and washed it to help him with some task in gardening haha. 

The coconut chips were different from usual coconut flakes - they were very crunchy, like freeze-dried fruit chips. 

I liked the attap chee (palm seed), because it reminded me of traditional desserts.

I think the only out-of-place ingredient was the rice krispies/puffs at the bottom... still, it was an appropriate ingredient because the toasted rice flavour went well with pandan and gula melaka.

The only drawback was the price - $6 or so for one serving. That's more than a meal at the food court, and I think soft serve doesn't quite have the reputation of traditional high quality ice creams like Haagen Daaz. I probably wouldn't have it regularly. I definitely hope to try their cereal milk flavour, though.

Comments