Paint the Town Red!

Yay for McDonald's Red Velvet McFlurry!! (For those who don't know, it's basically red velvet ice cream... the soft cream kind.)

It's a nice and classy flavour at a relatively affordable price - just the standard $2.80!
Red Velvet McFlurry promotional banners at a McDonald's dessert kiosk.
They even had mint FlavourBurst. But oh well, that was rather normal so I didn't bother with it.

Anyway, this was quite a gem. Just look at that lovely scarlet colour! I was glad that not all the powder in mine had been dissolved, because I loved the effect produced with the striking red powder swirled into the white cream.
The striking red powder was a very unique sight in my ice cream. I loved the effect!
And after it dissolved into the ice cream, the cream took on a strong pastel pink colour, very similar to that of Coffee Bean's Red Velvet Hot Cocoa.

Taste-wise, it was great! And because I could compare with Coffee Bean's red velvet drink, I finally realised what the pure red velvet taste is... turns out that was what the red velvet cocoa's interesting vanilla taste was - creamy vanilla with that slight tinge of cocoa.

A very enlightening experience indeed, comparing these two red velvet offerings. Normally, in red velvet cake or cupcakes, the creamy icing overwhelms my ability to discern what exactly the red velvet flavour is. And even if I get past the icing, there's still the flour and cake taste that interferes. I guess these two products brought it out much more clearly.

There were also those standard crunchy cereal bits added into this... I think McDonald's adds it into most non-cocoa McFlurries to for the texture... not a bad idea actually.

And I think it's cool that an eatery with normally bourgeois association can come up with an affordable offering with such subtle flavours. I guess it's an indicator that quality standards are improving everywhere, so that's good news indeed!

I'm glad I laid hands on this before it was sold out... the Bukit Batok Central branch no longer had it, so I took a short MRT ride down to the JEM branch at Jurong East and was in luck! Catch it before it's gone!

And have a velvety red Christmas!!

Found this ice cream interesting? Check out more unusual ice creams here!

Comments