Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium (7-Eleven), Japan

The autumn season specials are starting to make their way onto store shelves across Japan, and I couldn't resist my curiosity when I saw a Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium at 7-Eleven. I avoided it once because it had margarine, but after a while I decided to buy it just to see how it tasted.
Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium (7-Eleven), Japan
For context, my reference point is somewhere between FLIPPER'S pudding-like eggy souffle (which is more like a custard or standard souffle) and Hoshino's fluffy but slightly more doughy souffle pancake.
Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium (7-Eleven) - inside texture
With that in mind, the first thing I noted about the texture was that it was quite different and unlike anything close to Flipper's or Hoshino. It was not fluffy like a pancake or creamy like a pudding, but rather pasty, moist and dense like somewhat dense and slightly undercooked American pancake. Or perhaps like a very fluffy mashed potato. I believe you can see the texture in the photo above. It was still nice, but I think I still prefer either fluffy like Hoshino or pudding-like, like Flipper's.

As for the taste, it did not disappoint on the sweet potato part. There was a very creamy, floral and fragrant sweet potato flavour. Nutty too, but not earthy. 
Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium (7-Eleven) - packaging
However, it felt like that was all there was to the taste - there was no clear taste of egg, cream or vanilla. So it really tasted like a smooth mashed sweet potato paste that was exceptionally fragrant and slightly sweet instead of savoury.

Finally, here is the ingredients list. As you can see, there was margarine. The main sweet potato ingredient seemed to also be sweet potato paste mixed with white bean paste, so it is not pure. And perhaps that accounts for the mashed potato texture. There is also a sweet potato flavoured powder... so because it is described as "flavoured", I think it's not really sweet potato. Finally, despite the not so obvious flavours of these, there is actually egg, butter and milk as well.
Sweet Potato Souffle by Seven Premium (7-Eleven) - ingredients list
The price was a bit on the higher side for typical desserts at 7-Eleven, but it is also quite large and I shared it with some friends.

Discover other sweet potato treats

Comments